Scary moments for local family serves as reminder for all of us.

January 17, 2017

Written By

Mary Friona Celani

It was the middle of the night, and Laurie Baumgartner Pinzel woke up with what she thought was the flu. She went back to bed, hoping to feel better in the morning. When morning came, her son Joe and husband, John had severe headaches. They feared this wasn’t the flu. And they were right.

It was the so-called ‘Invisible Killer’.  Their CO detector’s batteries were dead so they did not get a warning. Once they put new batteries in, they had their answer, “We got a reading of 450ppm. We immediately called 911 and got out of the house as fast as we could,” Laurie said. Sure enough the family had Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. The three spent two days in the hospital, receiving oxygen treatments in the hyperbaric chamber. They are all grateful to be alive.

This is one thankful family with an important message.

It turns out the cap to their fireplace collapsed leaving the deadly gas with nowhere to go.

Now, this family is reminding all of us to check our detectors. Change the batteries often and be sure they are working properly.

The Amanda Hansen Foundation will give your family a CO detector if you can’t afford one. The Hansen’s lost their daughter, Amanda to the deadly poison and work tirelessly to ensure other families do not face the same tragedy.

For more information, visit The Amanda Hansen Foundation.

 

About Me

Welcome to Totally Buffalo! My name is Mary Friona-Celani and I am the creator of this site! After spending 20 years in the Buffalo media, I moved on to focus on my beautiful family. Now, the time has come for a new project. I was ready for something new. Something mine.
I am born and raised in WNY and my pride runs deep. My husband, Scott and I are very happy to be raising our four daughters here.

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

 

0 Comments