This is an historic day for Buffalo and Western New York. The only free standing Children’s Hospital in New York State is open for business. The John R. Oshiei Children’s Hospital certainly has a big job, caring for our babies, children and women.
So here is a bit about the massive building (and I mean massive – 414,000 square feet) and what you can expect if and when you go there.
- It is 12 stories high and has a helipad on top of the building.
- There are 185 Inpatient Patient Beds
- They have 64 NICU Beds (largest NICU in WNY)
- There are 15 Labor & Delivery Beds
- They offer 20 PICU Beds
- There are 24 Mother-Baby Unit Beds
- They have 11 Hematology/Oncology Beds
- 12 Epilepsy Monitoring Beds
- 48 Pediatric Medical and surgery Beds
- 14 Operating Rooms
- Emergency Department features 18 urgent care and 18 emergency department rooms
The 5th floor of the building is for family support and offers:
- Family Resource Center
- Stone’s Buddies
- Winter garden
- Bereavement services
- Ronald McDonald House
There are bridges connecting Children’s to Buffalo General Medical Center and Gates Vascular Institute.
Perhaps most importantly – it is filled with some of the best staff – doctors, nurses, technicians, surgeons, and volunteers in the medical industry!